This is a simple pattern for beginners! It’s so easy, and that’s why it’s free! I love the movie Donnie Darko, and for some reason, when I was making this, it reminded me of the little girl dance troupe… So, it’s amply named, Sparkle Motion.
This is a headband/ear warmer and uses only single crochet (sc) and double crochet (dc) stitches.
First measure your head circumference. The best way to find your head circumference is to take a flexible measuring tape and wrap it around from your forehead to the base of your neck.
- Yarn: Premier Yarns Isaac Mizrahi – Broadway yarn in Imperial colorway – Glitter, Sparkle Worsted weight (4) – 328 yd, 1 ball. I got mine at Michael’s, but it can be found online as well: https://www.etsystudio.com/listing/541824291/premier-yarns-isaac-mizrahi-broadway
- Hook Size: 4 mm hook, G or equivalent to achieve gauge if you use a different yarn. (Here is a link to a conversion chart if your needles are lettered or numbered: Hook Conversion Chart.)
- Darning needle to join edges.
- Measurements: 23” long (before joining), by 3 5/8 or 58.5 cm x 9.25 cm.
- Gauge: 16 sts and 20 rows = 4” x 4” or 10 x 10 cm.
Directions for gauge: Using 4 mm hook, ch16, + 1, *sc in 1st ch from hook, and in each ch to end. ch 1, turn. *repeat to create 20 rows total.
Tips: Keep a tight stitch, I usually pull tight after each sc or dc, but it’s preference. If you decide to crochet a little looser, the width will increase.
Abbreviations: sc = single crochet / dc = double crochet
Ch Row – Chain 88. (88 chains with specified yarn = appx 23”/58.5 cm.)
R1 – sc in first st from hook, and in each st to end of row. ch1. turn. (88).
R2 – dc in each st across entire row. ch 1, turn (88).
R3 – Repeat R1 & R2 until you reach desired width.
I worked approximately 12 rows total. You can make it as thin or wide as you’d like.
Bring the two ends together, and join using your hook, or a needle and yarn. If using your hook, don’t tie off and join ends by inserting hook through both top loops on each end and pull though with a slip stitch. If using a needle, tie off, and sew pieces together in top loops.
You’re finished! See that was easy 😊
Youtube tutorial can be found here: https://youtu.be/BsNcIRI6Lis
The written pattern is available on Ravelry and Craftsy for *FREE*
I take commissions, I can make this for you. a finished headband is $15.00 + shipping and handling. Please fill out my contact form here and we can talk about what your heart desires.
I loved this sparkly yarn so much, I made a companion scarf with my knitting machine too!
~ Inspire, Learn, Create