Looking for a quick and adorable crochet project? These bear ears are perfect! Beginner-friendly and incredibly cute! They’ll add charm to hats, headbands, and more. In this post you’ll learn how to crochet bear ears, it’s so easy an absolute beginner crocheter can do it!
This guide will teach you exactly how to make them from scratch!
Why You’ll Fall Head Over Heels For These Cute Crochet Bear Ears:
- Beginner-Friendly Bliss: These charming little cute crochet bear ears require just basic stitches, making them ideal for those taking their first crochet steps.
- Cuteness Overload: Who can resist fluffy bear ears peeking out from a cozy hat? They’ll add a touch of whimsy and charm to any project.
- Versatility Unbound: From cuddly baby bear beanies to playful headbands, the possibilities are endless! Let your imagination run wild and personalize your creations.
- The Perfect Gift: Create unique and heartfelt gifts for loved ones of all ages. Imagine the delight on a baby’s face adorned with a baby bear beanie, or the joy of a teenager sporting a playful headband with these furry accents.
- Perfectly Personalized: Use them for personalizing hats, crochet beanies, crochet headbands, and other accessories!
These are not only beginner-friendly but also incredibly rewarding because their so CUTE! You can sew them onto to just about anything!
Crafting the Perfect Gift: Baby Bear Hat and Animal Headwear
For those looking to create a unique birthday gift or a memorable item for a newborn baby, a teddy bear hat makes the perfect crochet baby hat for a gift for loved ones! Or a great Christmas gift.
These cute little ears, especially on a baby bear hat, are not only cute but also make practical crochet for keeping babies and adults alike warm.
These two-colored teddy bear ears, consisting of an outer ear in brown and the inner ears ivory, can be made using faux fur yarn or offering a plush, lifelike appearance.
These Bear Ears Are Great For:
- Newborn’s First Pictures
- Animal Headwear Fun!
- Crochet Bear Hats
- Crochet Animal Ears Headband
Beginner Crocheter? Got You!
Choose an easy pattern bear crochet hat is best to start out, like my free pattern basic beginner crochet beanie pattern that uses a few basic stitches like single crochets and double crochets only. Super cute hat! It also comes with a full video tutorial to get you started.
Things to Keep in Mind:
- Hat sizing: Use the charts in the basic beanie post to customize your hat for the perfect sizing.
- Newborn Baby, Toddler Size, Child Size: The charts have basic crown sizes to help with that.
Tips And Tricks For Bear Ear Bliss
The beauty of crochet is the freedom to customize. Here are some ideas:
- Color Play: Experiment with different color combinations! Classic brown for teddy bear vibes, pastel hues for a soft touch, or even rainbow yarns for a playful twist – let your creativity flow! Personally I love rainbows!
- Size Matters: Adjust the size of your ears to suit your project. Tiny ears for baby beanies, larger ones for adult hats, or even jumbo–sized bear ears for a statement scarf – the options are all yours!
- Embellishments: Add buttons, bows, or embroidery to give your bear ears a unique personality.
- Practice Makes Perfect:Don’t be discouraged if your first attempt isn’t flawless. Embrace the learning process, practice those basic stitches, and soon you’ll be churning out fluffy bear ears like a pro!
Gather Your Supplies
Before we embark on our ear-crafting adventure, let’s ensure you have everything you need:
- Yarn: Choose soft, cuddly yarn in your desired color. Opt for baby yarn for extra softness in baby projects, or go for chunky weights for a bolder statement.
- Crochet Hook: A 5mm hook is ideal for most yarns, but check the recommended size if using a specific brand.
- Scissors: To snip yarn and ends with precision.
- Yarn Needle: For seamlessly weaving in those dangling ends.
- Measuring Tape: To ensure your ears fit perfectly onto your chosen project.
- Stitch Markers (optional): These handy little tools help mark important points in your pattern, especially for beginners.
Master the Basic Crochet Stitches
These tiny bear ears masterpieces require just two essential stitches ion of are basic stitches. They are simple, versatile, and perfect for quick bear ears!
Learn the Stitches:
- Stacked Single Crochet: Creates a textured faux double crochet and leaves no gaps!
- Double Crochet: Forms the main body of the ear.
How to Make a Stacked Single Crochet
- Create a regular single crochet.
- Insert hook in the left leg of the V (located below the top two loops of the stitch). Yarn over and pull up a loop.
- Yarn over and pull through both loops on your hook.
Master the Double Crochet
- Yarn over and insert your hook into the indicated stitch. Yarn over and pull up a loop.
- Next, yarn over and pull through two loops on your hook. Yarn over and pull through last two loops on your hook (1 dc created)
Start Crocheting your Bear Ears
Now that you know the basic crochet stitches used to create these adorable bear ears.
Make 1 ear at a time (Make 2 total): You’ll start with the interior color, cut and tie off the end when finished. Then work the exterior color, don’t cut the yarn, you’ll join using the exterior color (see details below)
Grab your 5 mm crochet hook and your yarn. I am using a worsted weight brown yarn by Loops & Threads called Impeccable to create my little bear hat, in Ivory Tweed (white) and Taupe Tweed (brown).
Let’s Bring the Little Bear Ears to Life!
Ready to witness the magic of yarn transforming into adorable appendages? Here’s a step-by-step guide for crafting your own bear ears:
- Inner Ear Color: Start with your chosen color for the inside of the ear. Once you finish this section, you’ll cut and tie off the yarn.
- Outer Ear Color: Now comes the fun part – the yarn for the outside of the ear! Don’t cut the yarn at the end of this section, as we’ll use it to join the two pieces later.
Step-by-Step Instructions on How to Crochet Bear Ears:
- Step 1: Magic Ring or Chain 2/3: Begin with a magic ring for a tight center, or if you prefer, chain 2 or 3 and work your first stitches into the first chain.
- Step 2: Row 1: Building the Base: Crochet 10 double crochets (including a stacked single crochet) into the ring. Now you have 10 double crochets in total!
- Step 3:Chain 1, turn your work, and prepare for some shaping.
- Step 4: Stacked Single Crochet Magic: Start with a stacked single crochet. Remember, it counts as the first double crochet!
- Step 5: Double Crochet Duo: Next, work a double crochet in the same stitch. You’ve now reached 2 double crochets in this stitch.
- Step 6:Repeat this sequence: dc 2 in the next stitch, dc 1 in the next stitch. Continue this pattern until you have 15 double crochets in total.
- Inner Ear Completion: For the inner ear, simply cut and tie off the yarn.
- Outer Ear: Leaving a Loop: For the outer ear, leave the loop on your hook. We’ll use it to connect the two colors!
Assembling the Adorable Duo:
If you followed the instructions above and worked the ivory piece first, congrats! This part will be a lot easier!
Now that you have two charming mini ear pieces, let’s unite them in fluffy harmony:
You’re hook should still be on the loop of the brown hook.
- Step 1: Place the inner ear on top of the outer ear, carefully aligning the corresponding stitches.
- Step 2: Chain 1, turn your work, and prepare for the final stitch magic.
- Step 3: Using your hook, insert it through the first stitch of the outer ear and the matching stitch on the inner ear piece.
- Step 4: Now, single crochet. Repeat this single crochet through both layers for each remaining stitch, completing 15 single crochets in total.
- Step 3: Leave a long tail of yarn at the end. This will be used to sew your finished ears onto your chosen project, whether it’s a beanie, headband, or something else entirely.
Adding the Finishing Touches:
Your bear ears are almost ready to conquer the world of cute accessories! Just a few final steps remain:
- Weaving Ends: Using your yarn needle, neatly weave in the dangling ends from both the inner and outer sections of the ears.
- Position ears and attach them: Place them where you want to and attach them using whip stitch.
Pairing your Ears with Perfection:
Now that your adorable ear creations are complete, the options for their grand debut are endless! Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Crochet a Cozy Beanie: Find a beginner-friendly beanie pattern and sew your ears securely onto the top or sides. Imagine the look on a baby’s face when they wear a hat adorned with these furry friends!
- Headband Fun: Create a playful headband for yourself or a loved one. You can personalize it with additional elements like flowers or leaves alongside your bear ears for a whimsical touch.
- Beyond Hats and Headbands: Get creative! Think mittens, scarves, bags, or even plush toys – the possibilities are truly limitless!
Remember, the beauty of crochet lies in the journey itself. Embrace the learning curve, celebrate each new stitch mastered, and let your creativity guide you.
Thanks for including me in your crochet journey and please feel free to tag me! #stardustgoldcrochet to show me your amazing creations!
Check out more of my free crochet patterns and tutorials to learn more crochet crochet techniques.
Thanks for being here! Hope you have a wonderful day!