Yesterday, I was feeling very helpless. The news is overwhelming, seeing the children and families being torn apart and displaced creates a huge sense of sadness. As a crochet designer, I feel like there isn’t much I can do. Wondering how to help Ukrainian crochet designers…
Our community of designers is strong. We love each other, we support each other. We know what it is like to struggle to share a pattern, and hope that someone out there will love our art enough to buy the pattern. In this post, I will show you how to help Ukrainian crochet designers.
This is how we can help, as designers, and makers. You can help by purchasing designs from Ukrainian designers.
I want to thank my wonderful followers who messaged me with this information, and I dug a little deeper to bring you this short, but helpful resource list on how to help Ukrainian crochet designers.
With a quick search I found these beautiful designs pictured in my featured image: Click on image to take you to the patterns…
What can you do to Help?
I know a lot of us don’t have a lot of money right now – times are hard. That is why if you want to show solidarity, you can crochet a heart in Ukrainian colors, which are blue & yellow.
It’s a free design I created a few years ago. Also, at the bottom of this post, you can find a Ukrainian Winter Pillow Crochet Pattern graph that I designed in 2018 (never released because life got away with me).
If you want to monetarily support your fellow Ukrainian makers…keep reading.
How to Help Ukrainian Crochet Designers & Knit Designers
Create a finished Object and Send.
If you would like to make and send something to help displaced Ukrainians (I want to thank Louise for sending me this information.)
You can send your finished wares to:
Global Empowerment Mission; kindly include a note or label saying you are part of Knitting for Ukraine:
Vivien Dude, Warehouse Operations Executive 1810 NW 94th Ave., Doral, FL 33172 Global Empowerment Mission :
Purchase a pattern from a Ukrainian crochet or knit designer.
There are several ways to do this. Both Etsy and Ravelry have wonderful search tools to help you narrow down your search. If the links just mentioned don’t take you exactly where you need to go, then follow these steps…
How To Search on Ravelry:
Ravelry’s home page has a direct link to all Ukrainian Designers in their database, which is fabulous and saves you a ton of time. Here is the direct link or you can login to your Ravelry account, and head over to the home page.
How to Search on Etsy:
Step 1 – Head over to Etsy, and enter “crochet patterns” into the search bar.
Step 2 – Find the “All Filters” area – this screenshot is from desktop, it may be different on mobile.
Step 3 – Scroll down when the slider opens – scroll down to “Shop Location” and type in “Ukraine” – that’s it!
Resource list courtesy of Love Crafts:
Here is a list of resources that will help you get your money where you want to go…
- The British Red Cross, the Ukrainian Red Cross Society (URCS) and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) are aiding refugees, training doctors and helping those who need it most. Donate Here.
- People in Need are providing humanitarian aid, food, emergency shelter, and heating, to those on the ground. Donate Here.
- The Disasters Emergency Committee brings together 15 leading UK aid charities to quickly and effectively respond to the needs of all refugees and displaced people in Ukraine and neighboring countries. Donate Here.
- Black People in Ukraine are providing information, transportation and shelter for African people seeking safety. Find out how you can support and Donate Here.
- UNHCR – The UN Refugee Agency are providing practical support for refugees at the borders and in neighboring countries. Find out more about UNHCR’s work here and Donate Here.
- Unicef – the United Nations humanitarian aid organization focused on children’s welfareare providing emergency response to children affected by conflict. Donate Here.
- Come Back Alive – The Foundation stands with the Ukrainian Armed Forces by funding purely defensive initiatives. Donate Here.
- OutRight International are ensuring LGBTQ+ people have the same access to humanitarian assistance. Money raised goes directly to support groups on the ground who are setting up shelters. Donate Here.
You May Enjoy These Free Crochet Patterns
- Neptune Beach Dress Crochet Pattern 2. Cosmic Coozies Tunisian Crochet 3. Kunik Scoodie Hooded Scarf with Pockets
Ukrainian Winter Pillow Chart – Free Crochet Pattern
I designed this in 2018. It was in my “need to finish” folder in dropbox – and I’m sad I never got around to releasing it. I will create another post dedicated to this, but for now. Please enjoy this free Ukrainian Winter Pillow Crochet Pattern. It isn’t perfect, but better out there, than not.
You can crochet this using single crochet, C2C, or mini c2c. If you do create a pillow using this graph, please tag me so I can see! #ukrainianwinterpillow or #stardustgoldcrochet.
Sometimes when I design, I have a vision in mind. I envision this in row by row using two yarns to make it bulky, with round tassels on the ends.
I don’t know why I feel the need to prove that this was designed in 2018 – but here is my “proof” lol.
Keep an eye out for the written pattern and the actual crocheted version. If you are wondering where the inspiration for this came from – it came from WinStitch. The program I use to create my crochet graphs.
Tap and hold image – then “save to photos”
I hope you spread the word on how to help Ukrainian crochet designers & knit designers. This will be a long journey for them and they will need all the love from their crochet communities.
Peace and be well…
Find me on…